Pages

Followers

Chalkdust and Pushpins

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Epsom Salt Luminaries

Christmastime is here and it's my absolute favorite time of year. As mentioned my goal is to create at least one craft per month but I had to take a hiatus due to personal (good) reasons. Tonight I worked on my first craft of the holiday season. I saw this on Pinterest and fell in love with the idea. My husband and I are hosting Christmas Eve this year and I thought the candles would make a simple yet beautiful centerpiece.

Materials
Mod Podge
Epsom salt
Blue and Green food coloring
Paint brush
Candle jars or Mason jars
Step One: Place one cup of epsom salt and one drop of food coloring into a bowl. Mix well until the color is evenly distributed. Complete this process for both colors. Put each color on a paper plate and swirl the salt around, covering the entire plate.

Step Two: Place your hand inside the candle.  Using a paintbrush, cover the outside with Mod Podge. Make sure you cover the candle with a thin layer.  You don't want it to be thick and messy. 

Step Three: Roll your candle in the epsom salt.  Stand your candle upright on a paper plate and let it dry for a few hours.
Step Four: Spray your candle with a clear sealer three times. Wait twenty minutes between coats.  I took my candles outside to spray them. 

Final Product: Beautiful luminaries that will make your tablescape glow during the holidays.

1 comment: